With a background as a biologist and published scientist, it’s a love of her local fishery that’s lured Captain Virginia Salvador to share the bounty of harvesting sustainable fish species such as King Salmon, Halibut, Striped Bass, and Rock cod.
After spending a plethora of time on the water, Captain Virginia recognized the need to bring awareness to the plight of the prehistoric White Sturgeon while promoting catch-and-release practices and providing her fishing clients with an unparalleled experience that will have you returning season after season.
Growing up in the greater San Francisco Bay Area, Virginia enjoyed fishing with her brothers and cousins along the shore of Lake Berryessa, Sonoma County’s largest lake. Captain Virginia’s greatest fishing inspiration was her mother’s best friend Bonnie, who not only took the kids on fishing adventures, but also gifted Virginia with her first rod and reel, tackle box, and tackle.
After some time away from the region, Virginia returned to the Bay Area. While working in the medical field, she started fishing with friends before competing in fishing derbies. At one of them, she met Capt. Zack Medinas, and they began to fish together and share their passion for the local fishery and the conservation of white sturgeon.
It is truly an honor to have our boat welcomed by the Port of San Francisco and placed on the prestigious front row of San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf. Being one of only a few women known to captain a boat on the front row is an incredible milestone for all female anglers and it is her hope that this will pave the way for many more to come. Virgina isn’t resting on her laurels. She’s out bringing awareness by educating clients and encouraging them to spread the word so that our fishery may be enjoyed by generations to come.
- Has traveled to Hawaii, Florida, Baja California, and Mexico for fishing excursions
- Enjoys clay shooting and paintball with her sons
- Freelance writes for a variety of print and digital publications
- Passionate about Grilling and Cooking
- Promotes passing on the value of hunting and fishing traditions to all genders and ethnicities.
- Featured on Local Knowledge Fishing Show on the Discovery Channel fishing for White Sturgeon
- Featured on Angler West TV fishing for White Sturgeon, King Salmon and Smallmouth bass